The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Archery Has Record Breaking Season

Freshman Zoey Worthley aims her bow at archery practice on Jan. 23

The Platte County Archery team has been aiming for the mark and hitting it. With beating their record a second time, being ranked third in the country, and being tied for first in the state they have had a rewarding season so far. There seems to be even more to come as state is around the corner during the week of spring break in Branson. 

Coach Dana Stephenson speaks highly of the team and the hard work they have been putting in for years. 

“This team is our best yet. I have 12 archers that have shot above 280 in a tournament, a perfect score is 300,” Stephenson said. “Most of this team has shot since they were in fourth grade so they have been shooting for 6-9 years.” 

There are six rounds; two rounds are just practice and do not count. You have five arrows each round and the highest amount of points you can get per arrow is 10.  For three rounds you stand at 10 meters and the other three are done at 15 meters. 

The team beat their record in December and in January they beat it again. Senior Anna Bundy has been on the team for five years and has seen it evolve into what it is today  

“It feels great to beat the team’s previous record. We have an excellent team this year and I’m proud to be a part of it,” Bunday said. “Being able to say that our team is ranked third in the country is super cool. I am so proud of our team for being able to do that.” 

Archery still has state coming up in March and in May but with the hard work they put in so far and their driven attitudes, they will likely do amazing and finish the season out strong.