The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Is My Cup Hurting Me?

Information on lead allegations on popular Stanley cups

Trends come and go, but they don’t always have the potential to kill. The Stanley Cups have been the hottest item on the market in today’s time, having people spend an average of $23-$60. The most popular cup is the 40-ounce tumbler. It gets sold out in hours if not minutes of it getting restocked over the last year. This got so crazy that at one point it had a waitlist of 150,000 people. Many teens/adults use these cups, but something has come to the public about these.

The makers of the Stanley cups are being sued over the presence of lead in the cups. The lawsuit was filed against Pacific Market International was filed in February 2024 as a “potential class-action case” by a Seattle-based firm.

“No lead is present on the surface of any Stanley product that comes into contact with the consumer nor the contents of the product.” This statement was posted directly on the Stanley website. 

That was posted after a spokesman said on TODAY.com in January that “Yes, lead is used in the manufacturing process, but the product needs to become damaged in order to expose the lead.”

It has been explained that on the bottom of each cup circular barrier is made of stainless steel that covers a “pellet” that is made of lead. Which was said by a spokesperson from Stanley on TODAY.com. The spokesperson stated that the seal was vacuum-insulated and that it is not accessible unless the stainless steel barriers come off, which is possible but “rare”. 

The lawsuit states that Stanly and PMI misled customers because they did not warn the consumers of the potential damage, they also did not expose how much lead was in each cup. NBC News had reached out to PMI for any information but they have yet to respond. 

Many are wondering if this means that they should throw away their cups forever. It has been said as long as that cover at the bottom of your Stanley cup stays in place there is no risk in owning the product. 

“If that barrier remains intact, you won’t be exposed to any lead and won’t suffer any negative outcomes,” Levin from Stanley says.