The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Judah, One of the Greats

Vignery reaches 1000 career points in basketball
Kenadi Brown
Vignery at a home game on Feb. 6

Senior Judah Vignery has made it to the 1000-point club for basketball. He scored the final points at home vs. Raytown on Feb. 16 to push him over the threshold. This is the first time someone has made the club in almost 20 years. The last people to make this club in 2005 were Kirk Stegeman and Lorenzo Riley. Vignery is just the eighth person to do this in Platte County history. 

“It’s been a goal of mine to accomplish this ever since my sophomore year,” Vignery said. “After junior year I knew this was really within reach for me. Then coming in as a senior I worked hard, and I knew it was possible to achieve this.” 

Vignery was keeping track of the goal himself, and knew he was close.

“I [knew I] was probably going to get it against Raytown on Feb. 16,” Vignery said. “I needed 13 points to get [1000 points] but 25 got it done.”  

During the game, when Vignery hit 1000 points they paused play and made a quick acknowledgment, then got back to playing. His teammates were all very happy for him.

“I think it’s a tremendous accomplishment for Judah.  It speaks volumes for his commitment to the game of basketball both in and out of school,” Basketball Coach Rick Hodge said, “It is a great honor that rewards him for the longevity over a high school career and not just a singular accomplishment.”

Hodge credits Consistent improvement and hard work in and out of school for achieving this accomplishment. 

“He has improved by leaps and bounds since he has been in our program, both as a spot up shooter and as a player that can create on his own.”  Hodge said. “He has continued to play at a high level all season long even while drawing as much attention from our opponents in every game as he has.  All of the coaches and his teammates are very happy for Judah and his accomplishment.”

Vignery plans to keep playing basketball in college while pursuing a degree in either education or business.