The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

woMAN of the year

woMAN of the year

GQ is a men-oriented magazine that follows the most up-to-date trends in men’s fashion, fitness, lifestyle, and news. The magazine released its first publishing in 1931. For nearly a century GQ has gained traction for their original content. 

Starting in 1996, 65 years after the first publication GQ changed the media by adding their Man of the Year article. Each year a different man has been chosen. The decision for who the man of the year is has been based on their traction that year. Whether that be from new business endeavors or a lead role in a movie. 

For the past 27 years, the men have taken the cover of the GQ magazine edition of the Man of the Year. This streak ended at the end of 2023 when Kim Kardashian became the first woman to not only be nominated for Man of the Year but also to win. 

Kardashian beat out the other men for the title based on the launch of her clothing line Skims. The line did exceptionally well and this trend precedes as Kardashian continues to launch new releases. Skims have taken women’s clothing by the chokehold which has skyrocketed Kardashians sales. 

The cover of GQ depicts Kardashian as a man. She is wearing a suit while eating chips. Although it is a powerful and iconic move on Kardashion’s behalf there has been much controversy surrounding it. 

Uprising questions of why a woman should be able to win a man’s competition and the unfairness of a man not being able to win the woman of the year title. And to that, I say why is a woman’s success a threat to a man?

Kardashian won the title of man of the year because she deserved it. She outdid every other man nominated and propelled herself forward. The title of Man of the Year is far more prestigious than Woman of the Year in our society. Relative to the title sanctity a woman winning the title meant for a man is far much more of an accomplishment than her winning one for a woman. 

If a man feels it is unfair that a woman can be given this title then that man needs to work harder to surpass her accomplishments. To be mad that a woman beat you is dated. 

Kim Kardashian is the man of the year.