The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

KC Pet Project Needs Help

KC Pet Project is in a crisis with over-capacitated facilities and needs more help. 

“We are seeing a lot more stress in our animals because the kennels are doubled down,” volunteer and coordinator Pam Dooley said. “They can hear and see a lot more animals around them so we are seeing a lot more stress and a lot more dogs on anti-anxiety meds.” 

With the rise in medication and cost of daily care, the need for donations and volunteers is going up. 

“We always need volunteers, [a student] could certainly get their volunteer hours for high school,” Dooley said.

Another good way for those interested to get involved is through fostering animals. Fostering animals means taking them in to give them a temporary home outside of the shelter.

“It’s very very rewarding, I mean it’s a lot of work but, it’s an amazing way to make connections and friends,” Kathy Knapp, a foster parent for KC Pet Project, said. 

Fostering can also be more personalized than volunteering. Knapp says that the type of animals people foster is dependent on what space a person has. 

“I mostly foster moms and puppies, and not everyone can do that. We have the room and I have a nursery set up but you have to have more space,” Knapp said. 

Adoptions are always needed and wanted. Adoption waivers are available every Wednesday and there will be a new event to showcase animals and drop fees within the next two weeks. Visit kcpetproject.org to get more information.