The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder and How We Communicate.

Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder is a mental condition that affects around 7% of the population. It affects the way someone perceives and feels emotions, closely following symptoms of autism. 

Usually someone with SPCD has very strong, and high emotions. 

While someone without might feel their emotions on a scale of 1-10, with their emotions being at an extreme. Someone with SPCD tends to feel those emotions on the 8-10 area of the scale.

With emotions at such an extreme high or low point it gets difficult to read other people’s emotions, even when they state it to a person with SPCD. It relates closely to certain branches of Autism in some ways and could very easily be misconstrued as Autism. (go into medical mumbo jumbo jumbo here)

Take a moment to put your head in the space I describe. Not so much how it looks but how it feels at its strongest. You step into a room packed with people, some of them are people you know, a few are people you love, but most are strangers. No emotions radiate off of them, none you can understand. You look towards someone and a fog forms over their face and arms, everything that could be expressive is gone. Then they speak to you and with every word their tone changes and you are left to guess how they feel with no real clue. And as you look around more, everyone, every single person is like that. There is no straight emotion you can feel in that room other than yours. So your emotion grows to its peak as a part of you tries to fill a void you can only see.

Maybe not everyone with SPCD would say this is their experience, but it is mine. And no, I don’t literally see fog over peoples faces, but it’s a good description of how it can feel. 

Living around someone or being that someone with Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder can teach you almost a new language. You change your speaking habits to get across your emotion with an easier way to express it. You use words with stronger tones, and speak your message instead of just showing it. And maybe that’s something we can all learn from.Our communication day to day can be vague at times and that could leave a trap for someone to fall into if they don’t understand how you feel. Working on how we communicate, not only for the people who struggle to understand others, but for the days where we just miss the signs, could change the whole way you see someone and how they see you. Sometimes you need to be blunt or honest for someone to understand.