The Student News Site of Platte County High School

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Pirate Press

Classroom Environment

How can a classroom environment affect students? In a school with a multitude of teachers and rooms, every student has a favorite room and every teacher has a favorite classroom. And every teacher and student has a classroom they don’t like as much. Many different things factor into what makes a classroom comfortable.”Your classroom environment is a blend of the social, emotional, and instructional elements of your class. Research shows that many aspects of your classroom environment can affect student motivation and that more motivated students, put more effort into learning activities”(Ambrosia,2010)

“The environment matters. If you’re in a classroom that smells you’re not going to learn as well, if a classroom is too quiet it gets uncomfortable and makes you upset, or if the seating is too close together it can feel like you to enclosed or stuck. My favorite teacher has to be Hank. It’s always clean good lighting and good spacing between the seats. My least favorite would have to be people the seats are too close and the lighting is always bright.

Many teenage students think that open seating and a more mellow lighting in school buildings it
could make a classroom comfortable and allow students to focus and relax better.

“ I think If students do like their teacher they won’t necessarily listen and focus any better, Students say my room is too hot very often, The AC in my room is changeable by about 4 degrees and takes about an hour to cool. I think a classroom has to be comfortable and not too crowded so people can spread out a little bit. I don’t allow open seating in my room because I feel open seating allows students to sit with the people they will talk to but allowing that causes students to ignore the content and the purpose of being here with them is not to socialize. Open seating can be good or bad depending on how self-disciplined you are. In high school there are supposed to be lights on we are not meant to sit in the dark” Aaron Zalonis